Sure, volunteering is great for your community and makes the world a better place; but could it actually make a positive impact on your life, too?
Whether you want to improve your CV with new skills, meet new people or just feel good about yourself, Altens Community Centre can give you a volunteering opportunity that could change your life for the better.
Build your confidence
Many volunteers encounter a variety of new challenges when they begin giving time in their communities. Sharing new experiences with new people, they can learn new skills that can give them confidence to face challenges in other areas of their lives. We can provide training to help you gain the necessary skills to reach your full potential.
Introduce you to new friends
There’s no better place to meet like minded individuals than through volunteering for a cause you believe in. Working together to bring about a change is a great way to bond with others and become part of a community that can stay in touch long after your work is done. Plus, you will meet people from a diverse range of backgrounds – people you may never come across in your daily life. Volunteering can bring you into contact with all kinds of people from every walk of life.
Create more fun in your life
Many volunteers are surprised at how much fun it can be to help others. Not every volunteer experience is the same, but by finding an opportunity that matches your interests, you have a good chance of having fun while giving time. We have social get togethers to give the opportunity for everyone to get to know each other better.
Improve your health
Yes, really! There is evidence that volunteering can improve your health and increase your life expectancy by 10 years!!! In “The Healing Power of Doing Good”, writer Allan Luks found medical and scientific documentation supporting the health benefits of volunteering, such as:
- a heightened sense of well-being
- an improvement in insomnia
- a stronger immune system
- speedier recovery from surgery
Boost your career options
A survey carried out by TimeBank through Reed Executive showed that among 200 of the UK’s leading businesses:-
- 73% of employers would employ a candidate with volunteering experience over one without
- 94% of employers believe that volunteering can add to skills
- 58% say that voluntary work experience can actually be more valuable than experience gained in paid employment
- 94% of employees who volunteered to learn new skills had benefited either by getting their first job, improving their salary, or being promoted.
If you are already working, volunteering can help you change your career direction. You will also have the opportunity to take part in FREE informal training sessions – Youth Work, Arts & Crafts, Playworker, Food Hygiene etc.
Being a volunteer to the Centre can be rewarding and beneficial to the community. The Centre could not operate without volunteers.We have a good reputation locally and city wide for providing a quality service.
There are a number of ways that you can join in and help us.
- Work In The Coffee Bar
- Office & Administration Work
- Assistance With Community Association Groups – including Fishies and Summer Playscheme
- Becoming a member of the Management Committee (we are currently seeking a Administrator)
- “Professional” advice and guidance i.e. governance, health & safety etc
People of all ages, abilities and from all walks of life play an active role within the Centre. Currently the ages of volunteers range from 11 years – 75 years!
Don’t worry if you’ve never volunteered before. Although it can appear quite daunting you will be given full support and initially “paired” up with an existing volunteer.
Whatever you would like to do, there is bound to be a volunteer opportunity for you here at Altens Community Centre!